Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dinner: Chicken Fajitas

 The adventure I have embarked on is, so far, going quite well. While I am not to the point of making dinner every night, I am making an effort! And you know what they say, A for effort! Anyways, I made a delish meal the other night and thought I would share because, after all, that is what this blog if all about! So on Friday night I tackled chicken fajitas. Anyone who has ever been to Chipotle knows the overwhelming deliciousness of the massive burrito and, as my husband is a huge fan, I figured what better meal was there to make? Speaking of Jon loving this meal, I thought i would let you all know that he was literally jumping up and down while I was making this! Something about fajitas brings out his inner 12 year old. Well, after that little tidbit, here is the recipe. I followed it pretty closely, though at the request of Jon, I added a few more peppers and onions. The seasoning turned out PERFECT! Just the right amount of spicy, and those of you who know me know that I do not like spicy! But they ended up being enough for Jon, who thoroughly enjoys the spicier things in life. And, with a little (ok ALOT of) sour cream, were mild enough for me! So, while you can always click on the 'recipe' link and find out what I did, I figured it would be much better to read on and see how I made this fantastic dinner.

For the seasoning I followed the recipe perfectly. I am no Rachel Ray so I figured, when it comes to mixing spices, I stick with the professionals. Just to reiterate, it was awesome! It smelled as good as it tasted! Anyways, I chopped up a green yellow and orange pepper, mostly because Jon just thought it was a grand idea. I also added about half an onion and then 2 chicken breast cut into strips. The cutting of the chicken into little strips was, by far, the worst and most annoying part of this entire recipe. (mental note: try to find pre-cut chicken...) Then I threw it all together (seasoning included) and let it sit for a good 20 minutes while I made the rice. I just used a box of spanish rice, but it did call for me to chop up a whole tomato so I figured it slightly qualified as 'housewifey'. Then I put the peppers/chicken/seasoning in a REALLY hot skillet, and when I say really hot, I mean seriously....it smoked for a second when everything went in. I let it sizzle for about twice the time the recipe called for, mostly because raw chicken freaks me out and I did triple the amount of peppers called for. Anyways, it turned out fabulous. I warmed tortillas, had some shredded cheese and sour cream out and Jon and I had quite the feast!


What a shame this picture isn't scratch and sniff!

Yummy spanish rice
make your own burrito....(not offered at Chipolte) :)
Had trouble closing this one!


All in all it was a delicious meal and, from Jon's reaction, I have a feeling I will be making much more of this. Check back soon for my next adventure!!!!

2 comments: