Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sour Cream and Onion Chicken....yummmm

the one and only....Rachael Ray

Finally another recipe! It has sure been a while, but I am hopeful that this delish recipe makes up for that! I have made this chicken on many occasions, as it is a favorite in my house. I first saw this recipe many moons ago on ‘The Rachael Ray Show’ and immediately found it on her website, attempted making it, and fell in love!  You may have noticed, by all my other recipes I have posted, that I have an affinity for chicken. I’m not sure why exactly but whenever I look for a new recipe I usually go with something that includes chicken. It may be that I think its healthier, which it kind of is, or that it’s a lighter taste that makes it ideal for the use of spices and sauces, or it may just be that I really like chicken. Who knows? So on to the recipe. Like I said its from Rachael Ray and was featured on her show about 4-5yrs ago. The recipe is super simple and crazy delicious. So here is what you need.
the yumtastic ingredients (well just the chips,
flour and eggs...not that yummy.)

2 cups all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 11 1/2-ounce bag sour cream & onion-flavored potato chips, finely crushed
1 egg
 2 tablespoons milk, plus additional to thin out dipping sauce
1 package (about 12 pieces) chicken tenders or 1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch strips


mmmm chips...

Now I know what you may be thinking….sour cream and onion chips? What is this madness? But I assure you, it is a wonderful idea. The chips, since they contain an overload of calories, make this chicken very tender. It is almost impossible to end up with dry chicken in this recipe. Trust me, I am not the best cook and this has always come out wonderfully for me. Basically if I can do it you, and most likely a chimpanzee, can. I usually use Lays sour cream and onion chips for this. They are thin and easy to crush. I just smash them in the bag so there’s no mess and no need to waste a Ziploc bag.

So now that I’ve explained the chips, here’s what you do.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Season the all-purpose flour with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and place in a shallow dish. Place the finely crushed potato chips in a second shallow dish. In a third dish, beat together the egg and milk. Coat the chicken tenders into the flour, coating completely and shaking off any excess.
Dip thoroughly in the egg mixture and then into the crushed chips.
Transfer the chip-coated chicken to a cookie sheet with a rack on top of it or put them on a broiler pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.

Someone told this kid he was having
chicken covered in chips for dinner....

the final product

The result…pure magic. It is great for a family meal because it taste amazing, therefore adults will like it, and it’s made with chips! What kid doesn’t like chips? I would assume that you could use any kind of chips with this, I’m thinking bbq would be good, though I have never tried this (a future post perhaps?) so experiment yourself! Try some crazy chip flavor…after all there is now a whole aisle devoted to chips at most grocery stores. I have always used chicken strips but why not test it out on wings? Drumsticks? Other parts of a chicken whose names escape me at the moment? Im betting it would still turn out great. So, in summation, the chicken is moist and tender, the chips make it a fun meal kids will enjoy, and it has a lot of room for experimentation.  (the recipe also has a ‘spicy blue cheese dipping sauce’ that supposedly goes well with the chicken tenders, though I am not a spicy fan so I have never made it. If that’s something you are interested in, check out the website! http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/sour-cream-and-onion-chicken-tenders-with-spicy-blue-cheese-dipping-sauce/

 So enjoy this chicken recipe, I know I have, and make it an adventure! 

1 comment: